Carlson Rezidor Hotel Group, one of the world’s largest and most dynamic hotel groups, announced year-end development successes and overall positive momentum from the Radisson® and Radisson Blu® Americas annual business conference taking place at Radisson Blu Mall of America this week. The company announced a strong increase in new hotel signings versus the previous year, making 2013 the most successful year for development globally since 2008. Additionally, system-wide revenue increased four percent to USD $7.5 billion in 2013.
“We saw a surge in signings and revenue gains, thanks to the efforts and continued progress against our Ambition 2015 goals,” said Trudy Rautio, president and chief executive officer, Carlson. “We continue to invest in and improve our brands, and we strive to exceed guest expectations. The success is evident in our 2013 results.”
• The group’s overall signings increased by 43 percent from 2012, including an increase of more than 111 percent in the Americas and 71 percent in Asia Pacific.
• In Europe, the Middle East and Africa, the group signed 33 new hotels adding more than 6,400 rooms; 35 percent of those rooms will open in the next 18 months.
• 66 percent of new hotel signings and 44 percent of all new hotel openings were in emerging markets in countries including Brazil, China, India, Indonesia and Russia.
• The group continues to expand with openings in new and exciting destinations including Barbados, Grenada, Mozambique and Zambia.
2013 Progress by Brand
• Launched Experience Meetings, a global program developed to improve the effectiveness of meetings. Brain Food, the culinary component of the program, offers an elevated catering menu that increases concentration and reduces fatigue through food. Brain Box, the environmental component, boosts creativity and inspires active engagement based on different learning styles. The program has been recognized and certified by the Green Meetings Industry Council (GMIC) and features the Meetings Minus Carbon Program, which provides automatic CO2 offset benefits.
• Opened the highly anticipated Radisson Blu Mall of America and the Radisson Blu Resort & Congress Centre Sochi, a host hotel of the 2014 Winter Olympics. Unveiled the conversion of Radisson Plaza-Warwick Hotel Philadelphia to the Radisson Blu Warwick Hotel, Philadelphia. The group also opened Radisson Blu Hotel, Kuwait and Radisson Blu Hotel, Maputo / Mozambique.
• A major property improvement, renovation and investment strategy, as well as overall brand positioning for hotels in the U.S. and Canada, is nearing completion with 75 percent of hotels renovated since 2010 and the remaining 25 percent on track for completion by the end of 2014.
• Received the most improved J.D. Power’s ranking in the upscale hotel segment, gaining 34 points in overall guest satisfaction.
• In the 2013 Business Travel News Hotel Chain Survey, Radisson saw the biggest increase in the upscale tier and led in the Meetings Facility category.
• USD $22 million has been allocated to improve and renovate the following hotels: Park Plaza Amsterdam Airport; Park Plaza Eindhoven; Park Plaza Riverbank London; Park Plaza Sherlock Holmes London; Park Plaza Utrecht; Park Plaza Victoria Amsterdam; Park Plaza Vondelpark, Amsterdam.
• The brand is growing its footprint significantly in Asia with 10 hotels under development. Five of those hotels are in India and five are in China. Three are slated to open in 2014.
Park Inn® by Radisson
• Park Inn by Radisson opened its first hotel in the Philippines and was the first to feature its “next generation” design in Asia Pacific.
• The brand launched Smart Meeting & Events, a concept designed to deliver smart food, drinks, event spaces and technology to support our guests' life and work styles.
• Miroslav Forjtek of Park Inn Hotel Prague was honored as General Manager of the Year at the Worldwide Hospitality Awards.
Country Inns & Suites By Carlsonsm
• The brand launched, with great success, a new brand identity and hotel prototype.
• The newest hotel prototype, featuring a modern interior and exterior design, was unveiled in Springfield, Ill., in November, and a number of new hotels are already under development in markets like Asheville, N.C.; Bozeman, Mont; Katy, Texas; and Minneapolis, Minn.
• In the 2013 Business Travel News Hotel Chain Survey, Country Inns & Suites By Carlson moved from the number eight ranking up to fourth in the midprice category.
About Carlson Rezidor Hotel Group
Carlson Rezidor Hotel Group is one of the world’s largest and most dynamic hotel groups. The Carlson Rezidor portfolio includes more than 1,300 hotels in operation and under development, a footprint spanning 100 countries and territories and a powerful set of global brands including Radisson Blu®, Radisson®, Park Plaza®, Park Inn® by Radisson, Country Inns & Suites By CarlsonSM and Hotel Missoni. Carlson Rezidor plans to grow its portfolio to nearly 1,500 hotels in operation and under development by 2015. In most hotels, guests can benefit from Club CarlsonSM, one of the most rewarding loyalty programs in the world. Carlson Rezidor and its brands employ more than 85,000 people.
Carlson Rezidor Hotel Group is headquartered in Minneapolis, Minn., and Brussels, Belgium.