Interval International, a prominent worldwide provider of vacation services and an operating business of Interval Leisure Group (Nasdaq: IILG), today revealed that its UK members travel extensively, find holiday ownership satisfying, and more than half own multiple weeks of shared ownership time or its equivalent. Members also report average household incomes of approximately £63,650 per year and a third own a second home – apart from their holiday ownership.
These findings are from the Interval International 2013 UK Membership Profile, which was developed from a sample of UK-resident vacation owners maintaining an active Interval membership. The online study was undertaken to provide insights for use in the development of services and benefits to be offered to Interval members and may be useful to resort developers and prospective industry entrants in designing products and developing marketing strategies.
“With the results of the 2013 profile broadly in line with that of the 2011 member study and showing that going on holiday remains a high priority for our members, developers can look forward to welcoming more vacation owners to their resorts,” said Darren Ettridge, Interval’s senior vice president of resort sales and business development for Europe, Middle East, Asia, and Africa. “It is also interesting to note that our members make full use of their leisure time and have a diverse range of future travel plans.”
Interval’s UK members spend approximately 28 nights away from home travelling solely for leisure purposes. Additionally, study respondents indicate a penchant to travel across the European continent during the course of the next two years, boding well for future holiday ownership purchases. Further afield, they have a very strong desire to visit the USA and Canada and the Caribbean.
Respondents desiring to purchase additional vacation time remain most interested in the two-bedroom configuration, with more than half (57 percent) citing a preference for that unit type. Purchase price, the annual maintenance fee commitment and the luxury of the unit represent the three most influential factors in the decision making process.
Other notable findings from the 2013 UK Membership Profile include:
- Approximately 82 percent of Interval’s UK members report satisfaction with their timeshare ownership.
- Seven out of 10 acquired their timeshare interests from resort project developers and management companies.
- An estimated 48 percent of leisure travel nights are spent travelling across the UK and Ireland with the remaining 52 per cent devoted to international travel.
- The average length of a leisure holiday outside of the UK is estimated to be 8.5 nights.
- Almost half of Interval’s UK members would be interested in taking a cruise during the next two years.
- UK members prefer relatively less-strenuous activities on holiday with shopping, swimming, sightseeing and spending time in a spa rating highly.
About Interval International
Interval International operates membership programmes for vacationers and provides value-added services to its developer clients worldwide. Based in Miami, Florida, the company has been a pioneer and innovator in serving the vacation ownership market since 1976. Today, Interval has an exchange network of approximately 2,800 resorts in more than 75 nations. Through offices in 16 countries, Interval offers high-quality products and benefits to resort clients and about 2 million families who are enrolled in various membership programmes. Interval is an operating business of Interval Leisure Group, Inc. (Nasdaq: IILG), a leading global provider of membership and leisure services to the vacation industry.