The Jalousie Plantation, on the scenic Eastern Caribbean island of St Lucia, has completed a three year, multi-million dollar transformation and is marking the occasion by renaming the property SUGAR BEACH, A VICEROY RESORT on November 30.
The Viceroy Hotel Group, which has managed the Jalousie Plantation since 2008, played a key role in the multi-million dollar upgrading of the property which, apart from its stunning location and timeless French Caribbean charm, bears little resemblance to the original hotel. The property will be branded under the Viceroy Hotels and Resorts portfolio.
Set within more than 100 acres of lush rainforest and embraced by the island’s UNESCO World Heritage-listed Pitons, the following have been either added or enhanced in the three-year project that has cost in excess of $100 million:
- 59 brand new Luxury Villas
- Eight brand new Luxury Beachfront Bungalows
- 11 Luxury Sugar Mill Rooms have been completely revamped
- 9427 square foot Rainforest Spa has opened, featuring a range of international luxury product lines and locally inspired signature treatments, 7 tree house treatment cabanas and a temascal heat experience.
Several sophisticated new restaurants and bars are now open:
- The Great Room for elegant dining and Caribbean inspired fare
- Bayside Bar and Restaurant for more relaxed dining just steps from the water’s edge
- The Cane Bar and Late Night Bar complete with rummelier to guide guests through their choices
- The Palm Court with stunning views of the Caribbean Sea and lush gardens of Sugar Beach
- The Terrace breakfast restaurant with views across the lily pond and sugar mill ruins (coming December)
- A chic new lobby and reception area to welcome guests
- New Kids Club featuring murals by British children’s book illustrator Lucy Loveheart
- New Cybernook with desktop computers and printers to keep guests connected
- New boutique offering high quality linens, logo wear and gift items (coming December)
- Kabe Prive, private garden cabanas for day use and evening dining
- Updated PADI dive facility featuring new dive classes, snorkeling excurions and SNUBA (a cross between snorkeling and scuba)
- And a beautiful new contemporary design swimming pool completes the project.
A new website has been launched (www.viceroyhotelsandresorts.com/sugarbeach) and the resort continues to create packages and special offers that have generated solid interest and sales. Winter season rates start at $640 USD per night, room only, based on double occupancy and excluding VAT and service charge.
According to Jalousie’s owner, Roger Myers, the decision to become a Viceroy Resort is a logical step that will bring enhanced benefits as the property puts the final touches to this expansive renovation project.
“With this completion, it makes perfect sense for The Jalousie Plantation to be officially branded and named SUGAR BEACH, A VICEROY RESORT, capitalizing on the excellent reputation of the Viceroy Hotel Group within the luxury hotel market and bolstering the group’s efforts to focus on the expansion of the Viceroy brand,” Mr Myers said. “Branding as a Viceroy Resort will allow us to tap into the established market base of the Viceroy Hotel Group and to continue to attract guests at the very top end of the luxury travel market.”
The resort has already been accepted for membership in the US’s leading consortia while in the United Kingdom, Sugar Beach now features in the brochures of top tier tour operators.
Myers’ confidence in this new direction has been echoed by General Manager Andre Boersma, who added: “I am excited that this iconic property has had the attention and investment it deserves and that we are moving into another chapter of its history as Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort—in time for the up-coming winter season.
“All of the eagerly anticipated offerings and services that we have been talking about and promising our travel partners over the past three years have all come to fruition and we look forward to delighting new and past guests with an entirely new Sugar Beach product capitalizing on the solid reputation of the Viceroy Hotels and Resorts brand, and the continued commitment of ownership to provide quality facilities, accommodations and unparalleled experiences.”
About Viceroy Hotel Group: Viceroy Hotel Group delivers one-of-a-kind lifestyle experiences that bring together provocative design and intuitive service in sought-after locations. Signature brand amenities and services created for the diverse business and leisure guests include dynamic dining venues featuring world-class culinary talents and destination spas specializing in health, fitness and beauty. Current properties include hotels and resorts in Abu Dhabi, Anguilla, Beverly Hills, Maldives, Miami, New York, Palm Springs, Riviera Maya, San Francisco, Santa Monica, Snowmass, St. Lucia and Zihuatanejo with forthcoming openings in Istanbul and Bodrum, Turkey.